“The Bengal Council of East India Company”, on the accession of the Emperor Farrukshiyar to the throne of Delhi in AD 1713, sent a deputation to him praying for a settlement of the villages ‘Salica’ (Salkia), ‘Harirah’ (Howrah), ‘Cassundeah’ (Kasundia), ‘Ramkrishnopoor’ (Ramkrishnapur), and ‘Battar’ (Betor) to the west of river Bhagirathi and once the settlement was made in favour of the East India Company, the places were quickly adopted as exit and entry point of sea faring business hubs and the modernization of Howrah city as we know today began.
By a treaty confirmed by an Imperial Sanad dated 11th October 1760, Mir Kasim assigned to the East India Company for military charges the district of Burdwan, Midnapore and Chittagang. Howrah was included in Burdwan.
In 1795, a greater part of Hooghly and Howrah was separated from Burdwan. A separate Magistrate was engaged for its administration. One Judge from undivided 24 Parganas was to sit in Howrah once a week for settlement of Criminal cases.
On 1st may 1822, Hooghly and Howrah Collectorate was separated completely from Burdwan and a separate Collector for Howrah was engaged though administrative control was from Hooghly.
With the gradual increase of population, Howrah was again separated from Hooghly in 1843, but till 1864 Magistrate of Howrah was under the 24 Parganas. In 1864, the district however was transferred to the jurisdiction of Hooghly which remained unchanged atleast till 1948 when Howrah was declared an independent district.
The Howrah Railway Terminus came up in 1854 and in 1862.
In 1873 the present Uluberia subdivision was constituted in the name of “Mahishrekha” which was subsequently renamed as Uluberia in 1882. William Carry, the famous Baptist visited Uluberia several times during late 19th century.